Director: Yash Chopra: 9.5/10
Music: Khayyam: 9/10
Lyrics: Sahir Ludhianvi: 9.5/10
Actor: Amitabh Bachan: Amit: 10/10
Actor: Shashi Kapoor: Vijay: 9.5/10
Actor: Rishi Kapoor: Vicky: 7.5/10
Actress: Rakhee: Pooja: 9/10
Actress: Waheeda Rehman: Anjali: 8/10
Actress: Nitu Singh: Pinky: 7/10
Actress: Nazneen: Sweety: 6/10
The Best Sequences/ Performance Scenes:
1. Vijay overheard Pooja and Amit talking about their past life and unsuccessful love, meeting after 20 years at Vijay’s house. Pooja has newly wed Vijay – Vijay, Pooja and Amit in a Gypsy being driven by Vijay… and Vijay singing “Kabhie Kabhie mere dil mein…..”
2. The first night of Vijay and Pooja after marriage… the song seqneuce... the love making
3. The gracefulness of the character lived by Pooja… she has loved someone and destiny decided for her to live with another man… the balance maintained by her… the sacrifice made by her… the element of not compromising with what a wife must give to her husband viz a viz what she has lost in her life.
4. The frustration lived by Amit because he could not marriage the girl he loved… but still this frustration not at all coming in the way of Amit, to give full love to their daughter Sweety or the respect Anjali deserves as a wife.
5. The youthfulness lived by Vicky and Pinky…
Amit is an introvert poet in his college and falls in love with Pooja. All is going well, both plan to marry and live happily but destiny has something else in place for them… Pooja has to marry Vijay as per her parents wish. Amit marries Anjali. 20 years pass. Amit and Anjali have a beautiful daughter Sweety. Vijay and Pooja have a handsome, charming son Vicky. Vicky loves Pinky, and Sweety loves Vicky, who are in the same college.
After 20 years Vijay meets Amit and takes him to his house. He introduces Amit with his wife Pooja and the both remember their old days…
Vijay comes to know about Amit and Pooja. Amit comes to know that Anjali gave birth to a child (girl – Pinky) before marriage and did not disclose to him before or after their marriage. Pinky comes to know that her parents with whom she is living, are not real parents and she comes to Amit’s house to meet her mother Anjali. She is welcomed and loved as the same as Sweety in the house.
Ultimately there is a happy ending – Vicky marries Pinky.
Some evergreen songs:
1. mere ghar aayi ek nanhi pari –when Pinky comes to live with her real mother Anjali.
mere ghar aayi 1 nanhi pari
chandni ke haseen rathh pe savaar
2. main pal do pal ka shayar hoon – the first song of the movie depicting Amit as a very good shaayar in the college. some great lines...
mein pal 2 pal ka shaayar hoon
pal 2 pal meri kahani hai
pal 2 pal meri hasti hai
pal 2 pal meri jawani hai
3. kabhie kabhie mere dil mein khayal aata hai – the song sung by amit, pooja and vijay with different set of mindframes… Vijay sings on his first night after marrying a graceful, gorgeous and beautiful wife Pooja. Amit sings on loosing a graceful, gorgeous and beautiful girl friend who dreamt to be his wife. Pooja sings for getting over from the shock of loosing love of her life, Amit, and getting a loving and caring lover husband Vijay, and a dream in her eyes to give her best to her husband and try her best to forget her lost love… some lines from the sing which I liked most and remember even now…
Kabhie Kabhie mere dil mein khayal aata hai
Ke jaise tujhko banaya gaya hai mere liye
Tu ab se pehle sitaron mein bas rahi thi kabhi
Tujhe zamin pe bulaya gaya hai mere liye
Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayal aata hai
Ki jaise bajti hon shehnayian si rahon mein
Suhag raat hai ghunghat utha raha hoon mein
Simat rahi hai tu sharmaa ke apni bahon mein
Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayal aata hai
Ke ye badan ye nigahein meri amanat hain
Ye gesuon ki ghani chaanv hai meri khatir
Ye haunth aur ye bahein meri amanat hain
Mein jaanata hoon ki tu ghair hai magar phir bhi
Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayaal aata hai…
Yash Chopra, Khayyam, Sahir, Amitabh, Shashi Kapoor, Rakhee, Neetu Singh, Rishi Kapoor, Waheeda Rehman – WOW – what a great team. The plot is marvelous but screenplay/script could have been improvised to give new heights to the performers with a little more realistic touch, less of drama and some twist in the story. But so many sequences, so many marvelous performers, so many pairs, so many good songs, so many everlasting lyrics… there is nothing called PERFECT… we always seek something better and better and better. But looking at the time period this movie is made (1976) and the trend of movies of that era… this movie was made with a totally different concept… purely neat and clean family movie...
Overall Rating to Movie: 8.5/10